Evening Skincare Routine!


As I mentioned in my previous post discussing my morning skincare routine the evening is where things get a bit more serious.  I change products here and there but most of these have had a spot in my routine for months!

CLEANSE

Up until relatively recently, I was always relying on good old Bioderma to remove all of my makeup, as it seemed to work so effortlessly.  This all changed when I discovered cleansing oils.  If you think micellar waters are a quick solution to removing a full face of makeup and lashing of waterproof mascara, you NEED to try an oil cleanser!  The Body Shop’s contribution to the mix in the form of it’s Camomile Cleansing Oil is a relatively cheap option compared to the high end skincare I’m more inclined to reach for, but it performs just as well, if not better than it’s more expensive competitors.  The bad thing about it is that the pump spurts out the oil, making it quite messy, and it seems to leak even when closed, so not one to take in the travel bag!  However for a makeup removal and first cleanse at home it’s excellent and such a gentle product for the eyes and face.

I am a firm believer in double cleansing.  Although sometimes it may be unnecessary, such as if I’m having a makeup-free day, I won’t feel sufficiently cleansed and refreshed until I’ve used a second cleanser.  As long as you’re using gentle cleansers there shouldn’t be an issue of harshness or irritation of the skin.  I most often reach for the Ren EverCalm Cleansing Milk, whose title screams (or maybe whispers) soft, smooth and gentle.  This is one of the greats that makes your skin feel genuinely CLEAN afterwards, as opposed to packed with product.  Otherwise, a few times a week I use the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish to properly scrub my face if I feel like it’s needed.  For all cleansers I apply them to dry skin, lather up with warm water, then remove with either a hot flannel or a muslin cloth.  Both work just as well, just remember to throw them in the wash after a few uses!

TONER

After you’ve stripped your skin of its natural oils with cleansers, it’s important to use a toner to help restore the balance.  I mostly rely on the Nivea Daily Essentials Refreshing Toner which is extremely cheap and seems to work well for me.  Keep in mind that you need to find good quality products which work for you - that doesn’t necessarily mean one with a big price tag!  This toner feels refreshing and slightly tingles upon application, which is a sensation I now love.

EYES

I use the same eye gel at night as I do in the morning, which is the Body Shop's Elderflower Unperfumed Eye Gel.  I like to apply it before serums and moisturisers as it provides a barrier around the eyes to protect from those harsher products.  I was intending to repurchase the Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Eye Cream but this seems to work fine, so until it runs out I’ll stick with it!

TREATMENT

This is a very new addition to my skincare routine but I’m including it as I know it will be a permanent member in my team of products.  Although very expensive, the Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate is worth the money as you only need two drops warmed up between your palms to cover the whole face.  You can use this after cleanser and toner and be ready for bed, but I prefer to keep my skin extra hydrated so I haven’t cut down any of the other steps yet!

SERUM

As I said in my morning routine, I have so much love for the Body Shop Vitamin E Moisture Serum.  It’s important to use a serum at night, particularly if you suffer from dry skin, as it will really lock in all of the hydration in your skin while you sleep.  Or while you stay up all night watching Netflix, as I do.

MOISTURISER

For a long time I’ve used the Simple Kind to Skin Vital Vitamin Night Cream and it’s the best I’ve found for me - a thick and rich cream to soak into your skin overnight.  Waking up with dewy fresh skin is fine by me for a drugstore brand!

Often I’ll add masks or treatments if I’m feeling in the mood for a bit of a pamper or my skin is lacking something, but for most nights this is my tried and tested routine!  Due to the hydrating qualities of most of the products, it’s obviously intended for those with normal/dry skin.  Let me know of any suggestions you have in the comments!


Emma x

Unknown

LVNGLDN is the alias of Emma, a 20-something Irish law student living and working in London.

2 comments:

  1. I always thought I was good with my skincare, but you definitely win! I need to get a new serum, and the body shop one sounds like a good'un xx Rebecca - UK fashion blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! Yes I really recommend it, especially in summer when your skin can a bit dry from the sun!

      Delete