How to Get Sh*t Done


In my 21 years I like to think I've mastered the skill of procrastination.  However, this doesn't bode too well for my productivity levels or my uni grades, so I've been working on it lately.  It's hard to stay on top of things when you work from home or are studying with few contact hours, as you really have to motivate yourself or you'll end up watching 5 episodes of Come Dine With Me on your "tea break."  Guilty.  I've compiled a list of tips that I've found help me to snap out of my lazy day, so hopefully you'll find them helpful too!

Get Wet
Having a quick rinse in the shower or bath does wonders - it gets you out of morning mode and sends signals to your body that it's time to start the day!  Sometimes it takes me until midday to get round to this, but the important thing to remember is that a day is never wasted until it's over.

Dress Up
It doesn't matter if you're only changing into another pair of PJ's, just like showering it will wake you up so much more and make you feel ready to get down to it.

Healthy Procrastination
There's nothing wrong with giving yourself a well-deserved break.  If you're struggling to concentrate, do some washing, go for a walk, or if you're feeling really fancy do some crunches.  Don't trawl the internet and end up watching someone's entire vlog collection when you're not even slightly interested in their life.  Also guilty.

Change the Scenery
If working at the kitchen table isn't working for you, move to the sofa for a bit.  As long as you're still moving forward you don't need to be slaving away at a desk.  Any excuse for getting back into bed.

Treat Yo Self
Take a leaf out of Tom and Donna's book.  It could even just be a few biscuits or a 20 minute ASOS break, just don't get carried away.

Change Your Style
If a certain thing isn't working for you, set it aside and work on something else for a while.  If you're at school or uni, there are also an infinite amount of ways of learning - try flashcards, mindmaps, lists, or reading it aloud.  If I can't understand a concept, I try to explain it to a friend who doesn't know anything about the subject.  This really helps because you're also explaining it to yourself in the simplest terms.

Remember Why You're Here
Chances are you aren't struggling with writer's block or stressing over essays for the sake of it - you want to succeed at this!  So do it!

If All Else Fails..
There are apps like SelfControl for Mac which allow you to block certain websites for a set period of time.  There's no way of turning it off, you just have to wait it out.  This really helps me around exam time when I end up on Facebook and Buzzfeed for hours (how!?), so if you're really stuck I'd recommend taking the plunge and cutting out all those anti-social networks you don't need right now.

Last but not least, if you're not making any headway, best thing to do is write a blog post on how to get sh*t done..  Not speaking from experience at all.

Emma x

Unknown

LVNGLDN is the alias of Emma, a 20-something Irish law student living and working in London.

2 comments:

  1. These are all super good and important points (although the title of the first one threw me off a little!), I'm so guilty of being a procrastinator, I'll sit around all morning just generally doing nothing or online shopping for thing's i'll literally never buy! The best thing for me is getting dressed, putting my face on or going for a walk to clear my head, then I can normally get on it!

    thank you for sharing these tips, for sure something to keep in my mind!

    Dana || fashion-dew.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, some days feel like such a write-off until you just pull yourself together and get stuck into it :) Emma x

      Delete