Valentine's Musings


If you're quite cynical like me you probably choose to boycott Valentine's Day, significant other or not.  I've been in a relationship for quite a long time now (by a 20 year old's standards, at least) and feel no need to celebrate this Hallmark holiday.  Obviously quite a lot of girls/women love to feel spoiled and cared for by receiving a Tesco rose or some chocolates picked up in WHSmith, as well as a "lovingly" hand-made card (because he just couldn't bear to pay £4 for a piece of paper with some pink writing on it).

I understand that this makes it seem like I'm critical of men, and for the most part I definitely am.  However, the reason I'm against Valentine's Day is only because, for a lot of couples, it is one of the only days a year (as well as Christmas and Birthdays) when they feel cherished by their partner.  I personally think that every day should be treated like Valentine's Day.

My boyfriend and I choose not to celebrate Valentine's Day (although I did pick him up quite a hilarious postcard in Paperchase yesterday) as in our relationship we treat each other every single day.  If I see something I think he'd like or appreciate, I get it for him, and vice versa.  We treat each other nicely and do little things to make the other happy.  It's important to keep in mind that if you don't feel special each and every day, then maybe it's not worth it, and sometimes Valentine's Guilt will be overly obvious.

And for those of you who are single - who cares?  As I've said above, it's literally just another day.  Pamper yourself, eat loads of pizza, or get drunk.  Or do what I'll be doing tonight and go to work as usual.  You'll find your prince (or princess) some day soon.

Lots of love,

Emma x

P.S. Valentine's Day = VD.  Stay safe tonight, kids.

Unknown

LVNGLDN is the alias of Emma, a 20-something Irish law student living and working in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment